Wednesday, November 28, 2007

McCallen family update

Happy Belated Thanksgiving, everyone! David, Noah and I enjoyed a very nice holiday dinner at our house this year. David's mom, Emily, came up to eat with us. She was celebrating alone that day because Chuck, David's step-dad, was driving home from Montana, where he had been mule deer hunting.

This is the FIRST big holiday we've ever celebrated at our house (excluding Easter this year), and I was a tad nervous at the thought of cooking my first turkey and pumpkin pie. You see, the beauty of being the baby of four kids AND living far away from home means that I have never had to cook a holiday meal! (And let's stop right there for a quick shout out to Gram, Rosalind, Mom & A. Peg who have cooked all my holiday meals over the years).

That said, I got up early on Thanksgiving morning (thank you, Noah), and set out to make my pumpkin pie. I pulled out the Kinsman United Methodist Church cookbook, which I knew contained Aunt Helen's Water Whip Pie Crust recipe (can anyone tell me who Aunt Helen is?). And off I went...

Two hours later, the bird went in the oven. Mind you, my husband purchased a nearly 15-pound bird for just three people. He claims we need leftovers... apparently to feed a family of 10!

Two more hours of cleaning, feeding Noah, and whipping up some other goodies (David was in charge of mashed potatoes, rolls, noodles & baked beans), our dinner was ready. And lo & behold, it was delicious! As it turns out, I am not a horrible cook. :)

In other news...

Noah is slogging through his first cold this week. The poor guy's nose started oozing around bedtime Monday night, and we launched into a challenging evening of nasal aspirator battles and general sleeplessness. Things are looking up today—far less ooze and much more sleep!

Next week, we go to the doctor for Noah's SIX-month checkup. I can't believe a half of a year has flown by already!

David's been a busy bee lately. He's decided he's had enough of working with his step-dad at Liston's painting. He started a casual job search this month, so if any of you know openings for experienced blueprint readers/estimators, painters or constructionish positions, let us know.

When he's not working, it's been all hunting, all the time! Thankfully, our house in Mount Vernon came with nearly five acres—just barely big enough to stalk any and all kinds of wild animals. This week the unfortunate target was a 7-point buck. With a few more days of gun season left, you can bet a doe is in his sights too. (anyone want some venison?)

Things are the same old with me... working, being a mom, trying to keep up with the laundry. In my spare (ha!) time, I'm busy with some volunteer/appointed positions. I just completed my first year on the the Otterbein Alumni Council, and I'm an alumni rep for my college sorority. I also sing twice a month in a praise group at the church I go to in Gahanna—very fun stuff! And that's about all I can handle right now.

Hope you all are well. Looking forward to catching up at Christmas this year.

Take care!

Love,
Tif, David & Noah

P.S. Here's a recent picture of Noah... getting so big already!

No comments: